Announcing Etiquette
It is awesome that you're thinking about running a BANG! A few things to consider doing:
- Set a target date before announcing. Too many "TBA" events have been no-shows.
- When you have your tentative date, reserve it by contacting the not-so-secret cabal at the Puzzle Hunt Calendar (their email is at the bottom of the page). They will also be able to tell you if another, as-of-yet-unannounced event is occurring on the same day.
- Only make information about your event public (on this website, the mailing list, and elsewhere) when you're confident it is going forward. A good time to announce is once you've gotten about half the puzzles written and the date firmed up.
- If your BANG hasn't been made within 9 months of posting it to the front page, it may be moved to the "Past Due" section. If you are still interested in pursuing the BANG after that point, you are more than welcome to reclaim it.
 Reserving a Number
If you are simply announcing that you want to use a specific number for a future BANG:
- Consider not using a BANG number as part of your theme and only number your BANG when it is going into production. The BANG numbering is out of whack and you'll have no idea in which order your event may actually end up.
- The BANG numbers divisible by 7 are traditionally reserved for The Burninators. Ask a team representative (or the not-so-secret Puzzle Hunt Calendar cabal) before considering basing a BANG off of one of those numbers.
- As before, if your BANG hasn't been made within 9 months of posting it to the front page, it may be moved to the "Past Due" section. Other teams may consider using the number reserved at that point.
Good luck and happy solving!